Halal food

Questions related to Islam.
Um_Sufyan

Halal food

Post by Um_Sufyan » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:24 pm

As salam aleycum

What is the position of Islam on the consumption of food in non-Muslim countries?

That is a matter that give me headache... first because I live in a non-Muslim country... then because I had 2 answers about it, so now I am really confused. I ask first Allah guide me for the right path, because if He doesn´t guide me noone will do that and I am now asking my brothers/sisters whom have more knowledge about this subject.

First answer I got... is forbidden to eat meat / chicken in no-muslim country because they don´t kill the animal in the name of Allah, and because I can´t be sure if they killed it in a halal way. Someone told me that I can´t even to eat some cookies or drink yogurts or take other things which have the pink color, because the artificial coloring is produced by the eggs of an insect originally from Mexico. The name is Carmine Cochineal. Someone told me too that I can´t drink coke or pepsi or go to Mc Donalds because they suport the israeli troopes.

Second answer I got... is allowed to eat meat / chicken in no-muslim country because in the Surah Al Maidah: 5 Allah (SWT) say that the meat from the christians and jews is halal for us, so I can just say bismillah and eat. Someone told me that checked the Carmine Cochineal and it is halal. Someone told me that if I think is haram to drink coke, pepsi or eat on MC Donalds then I should not to eat there... but if there is not haram for me I can eat, at all noone gave me proof that they really help the israeli troops against our palestine brothers.

Actually, al hamdulellah, in my city we have a place that sell halal meat / chicken, but it is more expansive. If I should to follow the first answer inshalah I will endeavor for to eat meat only from there or eat fish or nothing. But If I can follow the second answer so inshalah I will not spend more money for to buy it.

I ask Allah help me and all the muslims from no-muslim countries, al hamdulellah I have mosq here, and I can to buy halal meat, but in the rest of my country is not like that, so please remember of us in your dua'a.

May Allah gives to us His guidance and make us between the believers that don´t follow what they think is better but what Allah ask to us, because Allah always knows better.
"... Surely with every difficulty there is relief. Therefore, when you are free from your daily task, devote your time to the labor of worship..." (Surah 94: 6;7)

Nisa

Re: Halal food

Post by Nisa » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:57 am

WaAlaikumusalam Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh

Sister, the answer to the question starts off with the Shariah requirements of slaughtering, and then ofcourse followed by the daleel of the Hadith at the end. 

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/103

In my opinion, if you have the option of halal meat as you have mentioned, then that is best, for all we know, the non-muslims use the same machinery to cut their meat, as they do to cut the meat of pork etc. Allah knows best.

Please bear in mind Sister, that I'm no scholar, far from it! But this is just my opinion. 

As for the Pepsi and McDonalds being haram, saying this and issuing your own fatwa against this, is a sin...Unless of-course the ingredients are Haram, which is not the case here. As Allah states in the Quran: 'Say: Do you see what Allah has sent down to you for sustenance? Yet you have made some part of it halal and some part haram.' Say, Has Allah permitted you, or do you invent a lie against Allah?' (10:59)

Allah also states: And do not say, concerning the falsehood which your tongues utter, 'This is halal and that is haram,' in order to fabricate a lie against Allah; assuredly those who fabricate a lie against Allah will not prosper. (16:116)

And in another Ayah: You who believe! Do not make haram the good things which Allah has made halal for you, and do not transgress; indeed, Allah does not like the transgressors. And eat of what Allah has provided for you, lawful and good, and fear Allah, in Whom you are believers.(5:87-88)

Sister, to boycott certain companies is a matter of personal opinion, but in turn, to make something halal that is haram or to make something haram that is halal, as you can see, is a big sin.

In my eyes,to boycott certain products is a bit extreme.. In that case, we would not be eating/drinking or doing half the things we do, as almost everything that is available to us and around us supports Israeli troops financially!! 

Just to name a few, Kimberly-Clark (Kleenex, Kotex, Huggies),Johnson & Johnson, Nokia, Nestlé, and Timberland. Even companies like Xerox, Hewlett-Packard and many more, they all do! All are well known supporters of Israel! So you see, we wouldn't even be sitting infront of a PC in that case, or even use a mobile phone!!! (You can get additional information on all the companies from the friends of Israel website, but you will realise, almost everything supports Israel and it's troops!)

I hope I have helped somewhat. :)

May Allah t'Ala make things easy for you Sister. Ameen
May Allah guide us all and help us to remain steadfast in our deen. Ameen
كُتِبَ عَلَيْكُمُ الْقِتَالُ وَهُوَ كُرْهٌ لَّكُمْ وَعَسَىٰ أَن تَكْرَهُوا شَيْئًا وَهُوَ خَيْرٌ لَّكُمْ وَعَسَىٰ أَن تُحِبُّوا شَيْئًا وَهُوَ شَرٌّ لَّكُمْ وَاللَّهُ يَعْلَمُ وَأَنتُمْ لَا تَعْلَمُونَ
"Jihad (holy fighting in Allah's Cause) is ordained for you (Muslims) though you dislike it, and it may be that you dislike a thing which is good for you and that you like a thing which is bad for you. Allah knows but you do not know"
- Quran 2:216

muslimguy

Post by muslimguy » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:53 pm

AssalamuAlikum Wa Rahamtullahi W barakatuh,
regarding ur first question, here is what I know

"Made lawful to you this day are At-Tayyibat [all kinds of Halal (lawful) foods, which Allah has made lawful (meat of slaughtered eatable animals, etc., milk products, fats, vegetables and fruits, etc.). The food (slaughtered cattle, eatable animals, etc.) of the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians) is lawful to you and yours is lawful to them......" [Al-Mā'idah:5]

so lets read what Tafsir ibn kathir says about this verse, "(Made lawful to you this day are At-Tayyibat.) Allah then mentioned the ruling concerning the slaughtered animals of the People of the Book, the Jews and Christians, (The food of the People of the Scripture is lawful to you..) meaning, their slaughtered animals, as Ibn `Abbas, Abu Umamah, Mujahid, Sa`id bin Jubayr, `Ikrimah, `Ata', Al-Hasan, Makhul, Ibrahim An-Nakha`i, As-Suddi and Muqatil bin Hayyan stated. This ruling, that the slaughtered animals of the People of the Book are permissible for Muslims, is agreed on by the scholars, because the People of the Book believe that slaughtering for other than Allah is prohibited. They mention Allah's Name upon slaughtering their animals, even though they have deviant beliefs about Allah that do not befit His majesty. It is recorded in the Sahih that `Abdullah bin Mughaffal said, "While we were attacking the fort of Khaybar, a person threw a leather bag containing fat, and I ran to take it and said, `I will not give anyone anything from this container today.' But when I turned I saw the Prophet (standing behind) while smiling.'' The scholars rely on this Hadith as evidence that we are allowed to eat what we need of foods from the booty before it is divided. The scholars of the Hanafi, the Shafi`i and the Hanbali Madhhabs rely on this Hadith to allow eating parts of the slaughtered animals of the Jews that they prohibit for themselves, such as the fat. They used this Hadith as evidence against the scholars of the Maliki Madhhab who disagreed with this ruling. A better proof is the Hadith recorded in the Sahih that the people of Khaybar gave the Prophet a gift of a roasted leg of sheep, which they poisoned. The Prophet used to like eating the leg of the sheep and he took a bite from it, but it told the Prophet that it was poisoned, so he discarded that bite. The bite that the Prophet took effected the palate of his mouth, while Bishr bin Al-Bara' bin Ma`rur died from eating from that sheep. The Prophet had the Jewish woman, Zaynab, who poisoned the sheep, killed. Therefore, the Prophet and his Companions wanted to eat from that sheep and did not ask the Jews if they removed what the Jews believed was prohibited for them, such as its fat.

so its permissible only to eat from the chicken and the meat that was slaughtered by christian and jewish. not the ones that were killed by being hit on the head or by an electric shock. so it should be slaughtered to be halal.

and u can check more details on those two links
http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/11609
http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/12776

and regarding ur 2nd Question, its not haram to eat or drinks from the drinks that israel made. but we should boycott their products. and about their food "take away" you should make sure its halal food, and please check this link for more details.
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/10339
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/20805

And Allah know best.
AssalamuAlikum
مَنْ عَمِلَ صَالِحًا مِّن ذَكَرٍ أَوْ أُنثَى وَهُوَ مُؤْمِنٌ فَلَنُحْيِيَنَّهُ حَيَاةً طَيِّبَةً وَلَنَجْزِيَنَّهُمْ أَجْرَهُم بِأَحْسَنِ مَا كَانُواْ يَعْمَلُونَ
"Whoever does righteousness, whether male or female, while he is a believer - We will surely cause him to live a good life, and We will surely give them their reward [in the Hereafter] according to the best of what they used to do."16:97

Nisa

Post by Nisa » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:28 am

What we should do and can do are really two separate things. Yes ideally, we should boycott all the products that fund Israel and it's troops, But my point is, when 9/10 products manufacturers openly fund and side with israel, then it becomes virtually impossible! This means: 

Every Nokia phone or Motorola phone, you or anyone you know has brought, has funded Israel & its troops.

Every Hewlett-Packard PC or Dell Computer that you or anyone you know has brought, has funded Israel &its troops. 

Every product that has been manufactured by Nestle, which includes most biscuits, chocolates, yogurts, and a numerous amount of other items, you have brought or someone you know has brought, has funded Israel &its troops.

Every product that has been manufactured by Johnson&Johnson(In 1995 Johnson & Johnson was awarded Israel’s highest tribute - The Jubilee Award in recognition for it’s continues service in strengthening the Israeli Occupation), and even Unilever, which includes most baby products&other household items,like soaps and toothpastes, that you or anyone you know has brought, has funded Israel &its troops!!!!

The list is ENDLESS!!!! Looking for international companies that don't fund and support Israel &its troops would be very, very hard, if not like looking for a needle in a haystack!!!!! Yes, we can intend to do our best.. But like I said, it'll be very hard when 9/10 international companies support Israel. 

http://www.interfaithpeaceinitiative.com/profiting.pdf

So out of all this list above, please tell me, what exactly is left that we can boycott!????

P.s....AOL/TIME WARNER: AOL ALLOCATES 30% OF ITS INVESTMENT PORTFOLIO IN ISRAEL. (Can you believe it?!)

The buy up of Israeli company Mirabilis, creators of ICQ (internet chat program), for $287m in 1998 forms part of AOLs investment in Israel. In 1998, Mr. Ted Leonsis, CEO of AOL studios (a business unit of AOL) received the Jubilee Award by the Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu. This is the highest tribute ever awarded by the ‘State of Israel’ in recognition of those individuals and organizations that through their investments and trade relationships have done the most to strengthen the Israeli economy.

So again, what was that about boycotting???? And what EXACTLY are you proposing we boycott?????

كُتِبَ عَلَيْكُمُ الْقِتَالُ وَهُوَ كُرْهٌ لَّكُمْ وَعَسَىٰ أَن تَكْرَهُوا شَيْئًا وَهُوَ خَيْرٌ لَّكُمْ وَعَسَىٰ أَن تُحِبُّوا شَيْئًا وَهُوَ شَرٌّ لَّكُمْ وَاللَّهُ يَعْلَمُ وَأَنتُمْ لَا تَعْلَمُونَ
"Jihad (holy fighting in Allah's Cause) is ordained for you (Muslims) though you dislike it, and it may be that you dislike a thing which is good for you and that you like a thing which is bad for you. Allah knows but you do not know"

Um_Sufyan

Post by Um_Sufyan » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:44 pm

As salam aleycum.

Jazaki Allah kheiran sis Nisa and Jazak Allah kheiran MuslimGuy. It is really delicate matter, I keep confuse. May Allah guide me and all the muslims.
"... Surely with every difficulty there is relief. Therefore, when you are free from your daily task, devote your time to the labor of worship..." (Surah 94: 6;7)

Nisa

Post by Nisa » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:53 pm

Wa Iyyaki Sis. :) BarakAllahu Feeki. Ameen.
May Allah t'Ala bless you in abundance. Ameen