Woman Dancing Provocatively in Niqab - Man in Niqab?

Questions related to Islam.
Nil

Woman Dancing Provocatively in Niqab - Man in Niqab?

Post by Nil » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:45 pm

Salamu Alaykum,

I came home and found my son watching this music video by a Turkish/American music group:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Myb3IwDCenc

The video shows a woman dancing in niqab in a sexy way, and also a man in niqab playing an electric guitar! I was pretty shocked.

I told my son that these are both haraam, but my son insisted there was nothing in the Koran about it. We had a big fight about it because he loves this music group.

What should I tell him?

Thank you for your advice,
Nil

Nisa

Re: Woman Dancing Provocatively in Niqab - Man in Niqab?

Post by Nisa » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:27 am

Assalamualaikum Sister,

Alhamdulillah that you are aware that its prohibited in Islam. but just to reiterate and clarify, it IS mentioned in the Quran:

“And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks (i.e. music, singing) to mislead (men) from the path of Allaah without knowledge, and takes it (the path of Allaah, or the Verses of the Qur’aan) by way of mockery. For such there will be a humiliating torment (in the Hell fire)”[Luqmaan 31:6]

Al-Hasan al-Basri (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: this aayah was revealed concerning singing and musical instruments (lit. woodwind instruments). (Tafseer Ibn Katheer, 3/451).

Al-Sa’di (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: this includes all manner of haraam speech, all idle talk and falsehood, and all nonsense that encourages kufr and disobedience; the words of those who say things to refute the truth and argue in support of falsehood to defeat the truth; and backbiting, slander, lies, insults and curses; the singing and musical instruments of the Shaytaan; and musical instruments which are of no spiritual or worldly benefit. (Tafseer al-Sa’di, 6/150)

Another ayah in the Quran says: Wasting your (precious) lifetime in pastime and amusements (singing)”[al-Najm 53:59-61]

Ibn Katheer (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning) “Wasting your (precious) lifetime in pastime and amusements (singing)” – Sufyaan al-Thawri said, narrating from his father from Ibn ‘Abbaas: (this means) singing. This is Yemeni (dialect): ismad lana means ghan lana [sing to us]. This was also the view of ‘Ikrimah. (Tafseer Ibn Katheer).

Secondly, we don’t just follow the Quran but also the (sunnah), i.e .. hadith, to which there are many ahadith that prove the prohibition of music and listening to it, Just to quote a couple:

The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Among my ummah there will certainly be people who permit zinaa, silk, alcohol and musical instruments…”(Narrated by al-Bukhaari ta’leeqan, no. 5590; narrated as mawsool by al-Tabaraani and al-Bayhaqi. See al-Silsilah al-Saheehah by al-Albaani, 91).

Shaykh al-Islam (Ibn Taymiyah) (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: This hadeeth indicates that ma’aazif are haraam, and ma’aazif means musical instruments according to the scholars of (Arabic) language. This word includes all such instruments. (al-Majmoo’, 11/535).

It was narrated that Naafi’ (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: Ibn ‘Umar heard a woodwind instrument, and he put his fingers in his ears and kept away from that path. He said to me, O Naafi’, can you hear anything? I said, No. So he took his fingers away from his ears and said: I was with the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and he heard something like this, and he did the same thing. (Saheeh Abi Dawood).

Some insignificant person said that this hadeeth does not prove that musical instruments are haraam, because if that were so, the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) would have instructed Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with them both) to put his fingers in his ears as well, and Ibn ‘Umar would have instructed Naafi’ to do likewise!

The response to this is: He was not listening to it, but he could hear it. There is a difference between listening and hearing. Shaykh al-Islam (Ibn Taymiyah) (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: Concerning (music) which a person does not intend to listen to, there is no prohibition or blame, according to scholarly consensus. Hence blame or praise is connected to listening, not to hearing. The one who listens to the Qur’aan will be rewarded for it, whereas the one who hears it without intending or wanting to will not be rewarded for that, because actions are judged by intentions. The same applies to musical instruments which are forbidden: if a person hears them without intending to, that does not matter.
(al-Majmoo’, 10/78).

For further clarification and info on this, by learned scholars of Islam , pls check this: http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/5000

Thirdly, on a personal note, I can’t understand why anyone would want to watch such a garbage-filled, rubbish, excuse of a video, especially one that clearly is MOCKING the Islamic dress and Islamic women, it also shows ppl holding placards with Arabic alphabets on it, so its intention is clearly to mock and make fun of, that in itself is a serious matter that a Muslim should willingly want and desire to watch a video that mocks his/her religion in more than one sense.

I understand as a mother myself, that children are and do have their own interests and that society and their surroundings will affect this, but don’t forget, YOU are the parent here and YOU are the one in charge! YOU lay down the rules and YOU make sure they are abided by. It’s as simple as that.

Hope I have helped somewhat.

May Allah t’ala make it easier for you and all of us to discipline our children and to bring them up in the best possible manner, upon the way of the Quran and Sunnah. May they grow up to raise the standing of Islam and Muslims worldwide. Allahumma Ameen

Your sister, Nisa
كُتِبَ عَلَيْكُمُ الْقِتَالُ وَهُوَ كُرْهٌ لَّكُمْ وَعَسَىٰ أَن تَكْرَهُوا شَيْئًا وَهُوَ خَيْرٌ لَّكُمْ وَعَسَىٰ أَن تُحِبُّوا شَيْئًا وَهُوَ شَرٌّ لَّكُمْ وَاللَّهُ يَعْلَمُ وَأَنتُمْ لَا تَعْلَمُونَ
"Jihad (holy fighting in Allah's Cause) is ordained for you (Muslims) though you dislike it, and it may be that you dislike a thing which is good for you and that you like a thing which is bad for you. Allah knows but you do not know"
- Quran 2:216