Was Muhammad one of Allah's servants?

Questions related to Islam.
Christianah

Was Muhammad one of Allah's servants?

Post by Christianah » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:28 pm

I've asked this question on the live chat before, and I'll reiterate the answers I was given here and why I ask this question.

Al-Hijr 15:42 Indeed, My servants - no authority will you [Iblees] have over them, except those who follow you of the deviators.

Allah clearly states here that Iblees will have no authority over his servants, but only those who follow the deviators (only those who follow Iblees) will he have authority over.

Now Sahih Al Bukhari 53, 400 states:
Reported by Aisha: "The Prophet was bewitched so that he started fantasizing that he had done a thing, which, in fact, he had never done."

And Sahih Al Bukhari 73, 89:
Narrated Aisha: "The prophet continued for such-and-such period imagining that he has slept with his wives, and in fact he did not."

The Hadiths here (which are Sahih Hadiths, so they are trusted, don't worry about the credibility) state that Muhammad was under evil magic, he was bewitched, thus Iblees had authority over him. Now I was told that nothing in the Hadiths indicate that Muhammad was under Iblees' authority, that he was simply put under a spell by humans. But humans are natural beings, and performing evil magic requires supernatural power, which a natural being cannot do without the help of a supernatural being. Now because Muhammad was deceived he was under evil magic, and I would assume that evil magic in Islam comes from Iblees or his demons. The only other option is that it comes from Allah or his angels. If angels help people to put Allah's beloved Prophet under an evil spell, then they aren't angels, they are demons. If Allah helped people put evil magic on his own beloved Prophet, then I don't know what to say. If someone wants to suggest that it was Allah who aided the humans in placing a spell on Muhammad, then I will get into the implications of this, but I don't think I have to go into all of them now because I think people would realize that God would not do this to his Prophet. So it was either Allah, Iblees, or their followers who did this to Muhammad, either way, there are huge problems for Islam. If it was Iblees, as I think Muslims would have to eventually accept that it was, then Iblees had authority over Muhammad and then by Allah's own words, Muhammad is not one of his servants but a follower of Iblees.

I was also once answered that although Muhammad was under this spell for quite some time, Allah eventually freed him from it. I don't see how this helps much though. Eventually Allah delivered Muhammad, but Allah states that Iblees will have NO authority over his servants. If he meant that Iblees would have authority over Muhammad for not that long of a time, then perhaps he should have specified this. I know Arabic doesn't always translate to English very well, so if the Arabic word translated as "no" as in "no authority" really would be better translated as "not all that long" someone let me know :) . Anyway, Iblees didn't have authority over Muhammad for forever (though it appears he must of had authority over him for a few days), but he did have quite a bit of authority over him if he could cause him to believe he had slept with his wives when he didn't. So this is why I ask if Muhammad was one of Allah's servants or one of Iblees' servants.

It should be understood that I am not attacking the Prophet personally, by that I mean that I am not saying he was weak for being overthrown by Iblees. Not everyone is perfect so I don't mean to offend anyone by saying Muhammad was spiritually inept, nor do I intend to offend anyone at all. I think this does pose a great problem for Islam though, so answers are appreciated and needed.

Thanks to everyone reading this and to everyone who responds, Asalamu alaykum wa ramatallahi wa baraktuh.

MuhammadA

Re: Was Muhammad one of Allah's servants?

Post by MuhammadA » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:42 pm

May Allah guide you to the straight path. I would recommend you read Fath Al Bari which is the commentry on bukhari before you just assume you know what happened and use your limited reason to cast doubt upon the religion of Allah.

In fath al bari regarding the above ahadith it says :

I – Ibn Hajar – say: This is what is stated clearly in the report of Ibn ‘Uyaynah that is narrated by al-Bukhaari, which says: “until he thought that he had had intercourse with his wives when he had not done so.”

‘Iyaad said: Thus it is clear that the witchcraft prevailed over his body and physical faculties, not over his discernment and beliefs…

Al-Mahlab said: The protection of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) against the devils does not mean that they would not try to harm him. In al-Saheeh it is narrated that a devil wanted to spoil his prayer but Allaah protected him against him. The same applies to witchcraft; the harm that affected him did not have any impact on his conveying of the message, rather it was akin to any other kind of sickness that afflicted him, such as having difficulty in speaking or doing certain things, or experiencing illusions that did not last. Rather it passed and Allaah foiled the plots of the devils. End quote.

Fath al-Baari, 10/226, 227

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

How the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was guided to treat the spell which Jews cast on him:

This has been denied by some people who said that this could not have happened to him, and they thought that it was a shortcoming and a fault. But it is not as they think, rather it comes under the heading of sickness and pain that befell him; it is a kind of illness which befell him just as he was also affected by poison – there is no difference between the two. It is proven in al-Saheehayn that ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was bewitched until he thought that he had had intercourse with his wives when he had not done so, and that is the worst kind of witchcraft.” Al-Qaadi ‘Iyaad said: Witchcraft is a kind of sickness which happened to him like other kinds of sickness. That cannot be denied and it does not detract from his Prophethood.

With regard to his imagining that he had done something when he had not done it, that does not have any impact on his truthfulness, because of the evidence to that effect and the scholarly consensus that he was protected from that. Rather it was one of the matters of this world which are not the reason for which he was sent, and which are not the basis of his virtue and in which he was like all other human beings. It is not far-fetched to say that he might imagine some things that were not real, then things became clear to him later on, as indeed happened. End quote.

Zaad al-Ma’aad, 4/124

So it is clear that the hadeeth is saheeh, and that it does not detract from the status of Prophethood. Allaah, may He be glorified and exalted, protected His Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and made him infallible before this spell was cast, during it and afterwards. The spell did no more than make the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) think that he had had intercourse with his wives when he had not done so; it had to do with a purely worldly matter, and had nothing to do with his conveying of the message at all. The words of the scholars quoted above are sufficient, and whoever wants to know more may refer to Fath al-Baari and Zaad al-Ma’aad.

And Allaah knows best.

And again, May Allah remove your ignorance.
مِّنَ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ رِجَالٌ صَدَقُواْ مَا عَـهَدُواْ اللَّهَ عَلَيْهِ فَمِنْهُمْ مَّن قَضَى نَحْبَهُ وَمِنْهُمْ مَّن يَنتَظِرُ وَمَا بَدَّلُواْ تَبْدِيلاً
"Among the believers are men true to what they promised Allah . Among them is he who has fulfilled his vow [to the death], and among them is he who awaits [his chance]. And they did not alter [the terms of their commitment] by any alteration" - Surat Al-'Aĥzāb : 23