Dua of Da'ud

Questions related to Islam.
sister1234

Dua of Da'ud

Post by sister1234 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:38 am

hi everyone, i am new to this and also my knowledge of Islam is fairly limited so some help would be much appreciated.

i was wondering if anyone knew about the dua of Da'ud .............. im getting pretty desperate now !!! ............ :

'Allahumma layyin qalbi fulan ibn-e fulan kama layyintil hadidi li sayyidina Da'ud alayhis 'salam'

Where it stated 'fulan ibn-e-fulan', you must say the name of the person involved, and her/his mothers name (for example if the boys' name is Saad and his mothers name is Asma, you will say "Saad ibn-e-Asma"... okey?..)]

.............so i researched this off the internet but i dont know the mothers name of the guy, what should i do...??? and also on some websites, not all, it says ask for permission, whats that all about, surely you dont need permission to pray...???

any help please!!!

muslimguy

Re: Dua of Da'ud

Post by muslimguy » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:53 pm

AssalamuAlikum Wa rahamtullahi wa barakatuh,

Praise be to Allaah,

its not permissible in Islam to call the person after his mother's name, Allah says in Quran "Call them by [the names of] their fathers; it is more just in the sight of Allah . But if you do not know their fathers - then they are [still] your brothers in religion and those entrusted to you." [Al-'hzab 5]

and there are many Ahadeeth of the prophet sala Allahu alaihi wa salam which stated that the one will be called after his father name in the day of resurrection, the prophet sala Allahu alaihi wa salam said “A banner will be raised for the betrayer on the Day of Resurrection and it will be said: This is the betrayer of So and so the son of So and so.” [Bukhari]

and also the prophet sala Allahu alaihi wa salam “When Allaah gathers the first and the last on the Day of Resurrection, Allaah will raise for every betrayer a banner on the Day of Resurrection and it will be said: This is the betrayer of So and so the son of So and so.” [Bukhari]

and it was mentioned in Sunan Abi Dawud that the prophet sala Allahu alaihi wa salam said: "On the Day of Resurrection you will be called by your names and by your father's names, so give yourselves good names."

Some people claimed that they will be called by their mothers’ names and they quoted as evidence for that a hadeeth which is not sound "weak" . This appears in Mu’jam al-Tabaraani in the hadeeth of Abu Umaamah from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “When one of your brothers dies and you have levelled the dirt over his grave, let one of you stand at the head of his grave and say: O So and so son of So and so [his mother’s name], for he can hear him but cannot reply. Then let him say: O So and so son of So and so [his mother’s name], and he will say: Tell us, may Allaah have mercy on you.” And in this hadeeth it says that a man said: O Messenger of Allaah, what if his mother’s name is not known? He said: Then let him be attributed to his mother Hawwa’ (Eve), O So and so son of Hawwa’.” [al-Haythami said (3/163): Its isnaad includes a number of people whom I do not know. and It says in Kashf al-Khifa’ (2/375): It was classed as da’eef (weak) by Ibn al-Salaah, then by al-Nawawi, Ibn al-Qayyim, al-‘Iraaqi, Ibn Hajar in some of his books and by others] and since its weak so we can not take it as an evidence.

the prophet sala Allahu alaihi wa salam never used the person mother's name when making duaa to someone, in many ahadeeth the prophet sala Allahu alaihi wa salam used to make duaa to the person himself without mentioning his mother or father name. and this can be found in so many Ahadeeth

and we should take the prophet sala Allahu alaihi wa salam as an example.

finally, when you make duaa you do not have to mention the person father/mother's name, its just fine to make duaa for him by only mentioning his/her name and Allah knows what's inside your heart and for whom you dedicating your duaa. Allah says in Quran "Allah knows the fraud of the eyes, and all that the breasts conceal." also says: "He (i.e. Allah) said: "O Adam! Inform them of their names," and when he had informed them of their names, He said: "Did I not tell you that I know the Ghaib (unseen) in the heavens and the earth, and I know what you reveal and what you have been concealing?"

and Allah knows best.
مَنْ عَمِلَ صَالِحًا مِّن ذَكَرٍ أَوْ أُنثَى وَهُوَ مُؤْمِنٌ فَلَنُحْيِيَنَّهُ حَيَاةً طَيِّبَةً وَلَنَجْزِيَنَّهُمْ أَجْرَهُم بِأَحْسَنِ مَا كَانُواْ يَعْمَلُونَ
"Whoever does righteousness, whether male or female, while he is a believer - We will surely cause him to live a good life, and We will surely give them their reward [in the Hereafter] according to the best of what they used to do."16:97

Nisa

Post by Nisa » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:32 am

Assalamualaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh 

Sister, What I'd like to point out apart from the fact that it's impermissible to make dua in the mothers name as you can see with the proof provided above by MuslimGuy (JazakAllahu Khairan), is the intention of this "dua" and the authenticity of it! To the best of my knowledge, this dua doesn't have any basis in the Sunnah of the prophet Muhammad Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam. Allah t'ala knows best.

From my limited knowledge, I can tell you that what happens in these cases is that, usually someone goes to a person who they think is knowledgable, and that person usually tells the person to recite a certain thing "so and so many times" and at "so and so time" for "such and such" to happen..

Stuff like this is used by South Asians (mostly) and they call it a "wadhifa" or "wazifa" .. But the term 'wadhifa' nowadays has been invented as implying self-invented recitations, and the times of these recitations, or the self-proclaimed rewards or merits one may get if they follow the self-invented and stated procedures, etc….when Allah and His Messenger (saws) have never endorsed such rites….then without an iota of a doubt, all such self-invented ‘wadhifas’ would constitute manifest and clear ‘bid’ah or innovations! 

Every single innovation in the pure and perfect deen of Islam is an error and a sin in the Sight of Allah t'ala; and the believers who sincerely fear Allah and the Last Day must strive to abstain from following any innovation in the pure and perfect deen of Islam.

Aisha narrated that the Messenger of Allah (saws) said: ‘If somebody innovates something which is not present in our religion, then that thing will be rejected.’ Related by Bukhari.

Sunan of Abu-Dawood Hadith 4515 - Narrated by Ali ibn AbuTalib that the Prophet of Allah (saws) said: “If anyone introduces an innovation (in religion),  he will be responsible for it. If anyone introduces an innovation or gives shelter to a man who introduces an innovation (in religion), he is cursed by Allah, by His Angels, and by all the people.” 

Sahih Muslim Hadith 1885 - Narrated by Jabir ibn Abdullah that the Prophet of Allah (saws) said in a sermon: “The best speech is that which is embodied in the Book of Allah, the Al Quran; and the best guidance is the guidance given by me, Mohamed (saws). The most evil affairs are the innovations, and every innovation is an error.” 

If one trusts, obeys, and follows the guidance and commands of Allah and His Messenger, Muhammad Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam, one can be assured of never ever being misled; but if one believes, obeys and follows any other guidance, other than that of Allah and His Messenger, one can be assured of being led astray.  

Pls check this link out on the etiquettes of how to make dua: 

http://abdurrahman.org/zikr/etiquetteofdua.html

Pls remember, a dua is not a spell you put on someone!! And be sure that if Allah t'ala has withheld something from you, it is best for you. 

... And  it may be that you dislike a thing which is good for you and that you like a thing which is bad for you. Allâh knows but you do not know. - Quran 2:216

I hope I have helped somewhat. May Allah t'ala ease your difficulty and if It is not willed by Allah, then may He give you the strength to deal with it. Allahumma Ameen

Your sister in Islam,
Nisa.
كُتِبَ عَلَيْكُمُ الْقِتَالُ وَهُوَ كُرْهٌ لَّكُمْ وَعَسَىٰ أَن تَكْرَهُوا شَيْئًا وَهُوَ خَيْرٌ لَّكُمْ وَعَسَىٰ أَن تُحِبُّوا شَيْئًا وَهُوَ شَرٌّ لَّكُمْ وَاللَّهُ يَعْلَمُ وَأَنتُمْ لَا تَعْلَمُونَ
"Jihad (holy fighting in Allah's Cause) is ordained for you (Muslims) though you dislike it, and it may be that you dislike a thing which is good for you and that you like a thing which is bad for you. Allah knows but you do not know"
- Quran 2:216

sister1234

Post by sister1234 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:46 pm

Thank you for your replies, they have been very useful, would you suggest however that i do not use the dua of da'ud at all...???

Nisa

Post by Nisa » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:43 am

Sister, theres nothing to suggest that you can't do dua for someones heart to be softened, or even doing dua for someone in general, but as Muslims we adhere to the teachings of the Prophet Muhammad Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam and take his life as an example, and although we take every single prophet of Islam in high regards and hold them all with utmost respect, there's no narration that i could find or any that suggests that this dua was done by the prophet Muhammad Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam. And indeed, Allah t'ala, the Majestic, knows best.
كُتِبَ عَلَيْكُمُ الْقِتَالُ وَهُوَ كُرْهٌ لَّكُمْ وَعَسَىٰ أَن تَكْرَهُوا شَيْئًا وَهُوَ خَيْرٌ لَّكُمْ وَعَسَىٰ أَن تُحِبُّوا شَيْئًا وَهُوَ شَرٌّ لَّكُمْ وَاللَّهُ يَعْلَمُ وَأَنتُمْ لَا تَعْلَمُونَ
"Jihad (holy fighting in Allah's Cause) is ordained for you (Muslims) though you dislike it, and it may be that you dislike a thing which is good for you and that you like a thing which is bad for you. Allah knows but you do not know"
- Quran 2:216