An Extraordinary Dream

Provided with links/proofs/facts.
Nisa

An Extraordinary Dream

Post by Nisa » Mon May 21, 2012 4:27 am

“The Messenger of Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) would often say to his Companions, ‘Who among you had a dream last night?’ Then anyone who Allah willed would recount his dream. One morning he said to us, ‘During the night two men came to me and said to me, ‘Come on!’ So I went with them. We came upon a man who was lying on his back while another man was standing over him with a stone which he dropped onto his head and crushed it. Then the stone rolled away from him and he went after the stone to retrieve it. When he returned to him, his head was whole again and had become as it had been in the first place. So he went back and hit him as he had done the first time. I said to them, ‘Glory be to Allah! Who are these two?’ They said, ‘Go on! Go on!’ 

“….I said to them, ‘This night I have seen marvels, but what are these things which I have seen?’ They said to me, ‘We will tell you. The first man you came to whose head was being crushed with the stone is a man who memorized the Quran and then abandoned it and slept through the obligatory prayers….”
[Sahih Bukhari]

Commentary: The two men, as has come in another variant of the hadith, were the angels Jibreel and Mika’eel. The Messenger of Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) saw in his dream that they came and took him to the heavens or an open land where he was shown many people in different states. The reason for these different states was finally explained to him. 

The first situation that the Messenger of Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) witnessed was the punishment being meted out to a person who had memorized the Quran but did not value it. As a result he did not act upon its teachings, nor did he recite it regularly to keep it in his memory. Additionally, when it would be time to pray he would sleep through it and did not guard his prayers.

The Quran is a gift. He who is honoured by Allah (subhana wa ta’ala) with it, should value it, recite it, and live his life by its guidance. 

This hadith also emphasizes the importance of praying the Salah in its proper time.

The Messenger of Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said: “We went on and came to a man lying on his back and there was another man standing over him with an iron hook. He went to one side of his face and gashed open the side of his mouth until it reached the back of his neck and then his nostril to the back of his neck and his eye to the back of his neck. Then he moved to the other side and did the same thing as he had done to the first side. When he had finished that side, the first side had become whole again. Then he did the same thing all over again. I said, ‘Glory be to Allah! Who are these two?’ …. (They said,) ‘As for the man you came to whose jaw was split to his neck, whose nostril to his neck and whose eye to his neck, he was a man who went from his house and told lies which spread everywhere.” [Sahih Bukhari]

Commentary: May Allah (subhana wa ta’ala) save us from inclusion among such liars. Although we may not be media people, anchors or news broadcasters who portray Allah-fearing people as terrorists and terrorists as well-wishers, or politicians that take countries to wars on lies; we should be very careful that we do not participate in the spreading of their lies either. May Allah (subhana wa ta’ala) save us from being counted among those who spread lies.

The Messenger of Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said: “They said to me, ‘Go on! Go on!’ and we went on until we came upon something like an oven. In it was a babble and shouting. We looked down into it and it contained naked men and women. The flames leapt up at them from underneath, and when those flames reached them, they cried out. I said, ‘Who are they?’ …. (They said,) ‘As for the naked men and women who were in something like an oven, they were adulterers and adulteresses.’” [Sahih Bukhari]

Commentary: Hollywood and its contemporaries, have desensitized people to the enormity of adultery. This sick behaviour is glamorized in the name of “love.” The break-up of families, the disintegration of societies, the smashing of Allah’s commands, and total disregard of His displeasure, may go unpunished in this world, but will definitely meet with its consequence in the next life - where death will provide no relief.

The Messenger of Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said: “They said, ‘Go on! Go on!’ and we went on until we came to a river, red like blood. In the river there was a man swimming and on the bank of the river was a man who had many stones with him. When that swimmer swam and reached the one who had gathered the stones, he forced his mouth open and made him swallow a stone. Then he would begin to swim and would come back to him again. Whenever he came back to him, he forced open his mouth and made him swallow a stone. I said to them, ‘Who are these two?’ …. (They said,) ‘The man you came to who was swimming in the river and being made to swallow stones used to consume usury.’” [Sahih Bukhari]

Commentary: Usury has been given many innocuous, harmless sounding names like “interest,” “mortgage,” etc. Riba is a part of house-building loans, car-financing loans, credit-card bills, and present in many other shapes and forms. The Messenger of Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said that there would come a time when the smoke of Riba would reach everybody. It seems that we are in that period of time. Almost all over the world societies are based on liberal capitalism, in which money is an end in itself, required for the fulfillment of unlimited desires. Riba is bread and butter to such societies. So while we try to avoid the fire of Riba - its obvious forms, its smoke makes its way insidiously to the unsuspecting.

Those who consume Riba are made to continuously swallow stones probably because nothing satisfied them in the world either. No matter how much money they made by Riba, they kept on taking more. The one who takes Riba imagines that his wealth will increase, but Allah (subhana wa ta’ala) wipes it out from behind him.

The Messenger of Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said: “They said to me, ‘Go on! Go on!’ and we went on until we came to a man with the most repulsive appearance you have ever seen. He was at a fire which he was kindling and which he was running around. I said to them, ‘Who is this?’ …. (They said,) ‘The man with the disagreeable appearance who was at the fire, kindling it and running around it, was Malik, the custodian of Jahannum.’ [Sahih Bukhari]

Commentary: From this hadith we learn that Malik, the angel in charge of Jahannum, is very scary to look at. This is to add to the misery of the people in Jahannum. May Allah (subhana wa ta’ala) save us from it.

The Messenger of Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said: “They said to me, ‘Go on! Go on!’ and we went on until we came to a green meadow with every type of spring flower in it. There was, in the middle of the meadow, a man so tall that I could scarcely see his head, so high it was in the sky. Around the man were the greatest number of children I have ever seen. I said, ‘Who is this? Who are those?’ …. (They said,) ‘The tall man in the meadow was Ibraheem. The children who were around him are all those who were born and died in the natural state.’” Some of the Muslims asked, “Messenger of Allah, the children of the idol-worshippers as well?” The Messenger of Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said, “The children of the idol-worshippers as well.” [Sahih Bukhari]

Commentary: This hadith presents us with a scene from Jannah: “a green meadow with every type of spring flower in it.” Can you imagine it?

The height of humans has been diminishing ever since Adam (alaihis salam). But on the Day of Judgement and in Jannah and Jahannum, people will be the height of Adam (alaihis salam). Thus, when the Messenger of Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) saw Ibraheem (alaihis salam) in Jannah, he described him as being so tall that he could scarcely see his head.

This hadith also informs us about the fate of children who die in childhood before deviating from the condition of Islam that they were born in. They are with Ibraheem (alaihis salam), living happily in Jannah.

Ibn Hajar says in “al-Fath al-Bari,” regarding Ibraheem (alaihis salam), that it is probable that he is residing in the green meadow only temporarily, on account of his tutelage of those children. His station is a station which is higher than that of the Shuhada (martyrs). On the Day of Rising, all people will be residing in their proper places.

The Messenger of Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said: “They said to me, ‘Go on! Go on!’ and we went on until we came to a green meadow with every type of spring flower in it. There was, in the middle of the meadow, a man so tall that I could scarcely see his head, so high it was in the sky. Around the man were the greatest number of children I have ever seen. I said, ‘Who is this? Who are those?’ …. (They said,) ‘The tall man in the meadow was Ibraheem. The children who were around him are all those who were born and died in the natural state.’” Some of the Muslims asked, “Messenger of Allah, the children of the idol-worshippers as well?” The Messenger of Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said, “The children of the idol-worshippers as well.” [Sahih Bukhari]

Commentary: This hadith presents us with a scene from Jannah: “a green meadow with every type of spring flower in it.” Can you imagine it?

The height of humans has been diminishing ever since Adam (alaihis salam). But on the Day of Judgement and in Jannah and Jahannum, people will be the height of Adam (alaihis salam). Thus, when the Messenger of Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) saw Ibraheem (alaihis salam) in Jannah, he described him as being so tall that he could scarcely see his head.

This hadith also informs us about the fate of children who die in childhood before deviating from the condition of Islam that they were born in. They are with Ibraheem (alaihis salam), living happily in Jannah.

Ibn Hajar says in “al-Fath al-Bari,” regarding Ibraheem (alaihis salam), that it is probable that he is residing in the green meadow only temporarily, on account of his tutelage of those children. His station is a station which is higher than that of the Shuhada (martyrs). On the Day of Rising, all people will be residing in their proper places.

From this hadith we learn the following things:

1) One of the cities of Jannah is built of bricks of gold and silver.

2) Those who have a palace in the Garden do not reside in it while in this world, but that happens after death, even in the case of prophets and martyrs.

3) Those who do good deeds as well as bad deeds while believing in Allah (subhana wa ta’ala) may go to Jannah, but will be part ugly as a reflection of their deeds. The Messenger of Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said: “As for the people who were half beautiful and half ugly, they are the people who mixed righteous actions with evil actions. Allah pardoned them.” [Sahih Bukhari]

O Allah! Pardon us by Your mercy before our deaths, so we may be wholly beautiful!

The Messenger of Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said: “Then we went on and there were men and women of the ugliest appearance and the foulest smell, like that of sewers. I said, ‘Who are these?’ He said that they were corpses which were very swollen and had the foulest stench. I said, ‘Who are these of?’ He said, ‘Those are the dead of the unbelievers.’ Then we went on and there were some people asleep under the shade of a tree. I said, ‘Who are these?’ He said, ‘Those are the Muslim dead.’ Then we went on and there were some men who had the handsomest faces and most fragrant perfume and I said, ‘Who are these?’ He said, ‘Those are the truthful (Siddiqueen), the martyrs (Shuhada), and the righteous (Saaliheen).’” [Sahih Bukhari]

Commentary: This hadith informs us of the fate of the Muslim dead as opposed to that of those who die in a state of Kufr. After death we turn inside out. In this world it is possible for the Kuffar, Munafiqeen and Murtaddeen to look beautiful, despite their rebellion to Allah (subhana wa ta’ala). But as soon as they die, the ugliness of their beliefs and deeds will become apparent in their outward appearance. They will become disgusting to look at and stink terribly. 

We take so much care of our appearance, investing in expensive creams and diets. Some even go to the extent of surgeries to look good. But this will all become useless in a very short time. If you really want to look good, then invest in your deeds. Even if you were average looking in life, Allah (subhana wa ta’ala) will ensure that you are gorgeous to look at forever after.
كُتِبَ عَلَيْكُمُ الْقِتَالُ وَهُوَ كُرْهٌ لَّكُمْ وَعَسَىٰ أَن تَكْرَهُوا شَيْئًا وَهُوَ خَيْرٌ لَّكُمْ وَعَسَىٰ أَن تُحِبُّوا شَيْئًا وَهُوَ شَرٌّ لَّكُمْ وَاللَّهُ يَعْلَمُ وَأَنتُمْ لَا تَعْلَمُونَ
"Jihad (holy fighting in Allah's Cause) is ordained for you (Muslims) though you dislike it, and it may be that you dislike a thing which is good for you and that you like a thing which is bad for you. Allah knows but you do not know"
- Quran 2:216