ayaats of Quraan need tafsir obligatory?

Anything you want to ask for/about.
hia99

ayaats of Quraan need tafsir obligatory?

Post by hia99 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:06 pm

Assalamualikum wa rahmat Allahi wa barakatahu.

I want ask is it obligatory to check the tafsir of any ayaat while reading Quraan, Tafsir are different , in accordance with writers, and some time I felt the thing which was not in mind the writer enforce that bad idea too in mind,( as he said the ignorant/ppl say about that ayaat that thing..and its not that, its infact that...) while just reading Quraan, I felt its simple to understand. as Allah says

And We have certainly made the Qur’an easy for remembrance, so is there any who will remember?
Quran 54 40

and as Quraan is for entire life span of humanity, and till the Last day, so cant we read it without refferences of different writers. Matter of understanding (being muslim) is dependent with the thought the writer of tafsir?

now to make my question clear I would like to give example,

Repel, by [means of] what is best, [their] evil. We are most knowing of what they describe.
Quran 23 96

And when you are greeted with a greeting, greet [in return] with one better than it or [at least] return it [in a like manner]. Indeed, Allah is ever, over all things, an Accountant.
Quran 4 86

And not equal are the good deed and the bad. Repel [evil] by that [deed] which is better; and thereupon the one whom between you and him is enmity [will become] as though he was a devoted friend. But none is granted it except those who are patient, and none is granted it except one having a great portion [of good].
Quran. Surah:41.Fussilat.

So now the above ayaats can be understand as they are, or need to read tafsir.
If I die today...My words live tomorrow...?
..................and I am talking Unity here!

ComputeristGeek

Re: ayaats of Quraan need tafsir obligatory?

Post by ComputeristGeek » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:57 am

Wa Alaikumussalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh

The quraan has three levels that it can be understood at:
1) A level that can be understood by Allah only, no human can understand it
2) A level that can be understood by scholars, they might be able to make those with normal knowledge understand it
3) A level that can be understood by anyone who reads the quran

So avoiding tafseer is not forbidden, but you would not get the complete ruling from your own understanding, scholars refer to a variety of ahadeeth and links between verses....it's not an easy task.

hia99

Post by hia99 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:20 am

Assalamualikum wa rahmat Allahi wa barakatahu.

thanks and Jazak Allahi kayran for reply, I thought that perhaps it was not valid question so dun having reply, so its honor akhee..
and I agree with this concise answer, and just to encourage ppl I would like to say any one who love Allah and have faith can read and understand Quran, for me Quran is my friend, so any one can do friendship with Quran, inshaAllah..Am I right akhee ?

BasheeR

Post by BasheeR » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:37 pm

Alhamdullilah wassalatu wassalamu Ala Rasooli Allah,
Praise be to Allah and peace be upon his prophet,

Yes, it is a must for every person who wants to understand a verse to look up authentic sources of interpretation for these verses. That is because the quran is the book of Allah, and in order to understand it you must seek the righteous methods to understand it.

Such references for this are : Tafseer ibn jareer, tafseer ibn katheer, tafseer al qurtuby, tafseer al jalalayn (which is very brief).

We use these references because within them their writers mention verses, hadiths, sayings of sahaba, sayings of tabi3een which explain these verses. You must know that the apparent wording of a verse does not necessarily imply its meaning. You must also understand the reason for which the verse was revealed.

Another issue is understanding the abrogated verses. Abrogation of verses is a very important issue, because a verse may imply a matter or a ruling, however it is abrogated by another verse. You may think the ruling of that verse is still on-going , however, you might later find a verse that abrogates it.

Writers of tafseer such as ibn katheer did not interpret verses based on what they think. They present the interpretation based on the most authentic texts that explain that verse.

You may purchase tafseer ibn katheer which is relatively simple compared to other books online or from a bookstore.

You may also visit http://www.alifta.com/ .

And Allah knows best.
Your brother,
BasheeR

hia99

Post by hia99 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:55 pm

assalamualikum wa rahmat Allahi wa barakatahu

Jazak Allahi kayran for your kind concern,

I have seen that you have good know how about Quran's ayaats...So I would like if you can justify your answer in Light of Quraan. So that I can be satisfied from your reply.

thanks akhee