Breaking Fast: To eat Dinner first or Pray Maghrib?

Ramadaan is one of the twelve Arabic months. It is a month which is venerated in the Islamic religion, and it is distinguished from the other months by a number of characteristics and virtues.
muslimguy

Post by muslimguy » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:21 pm

Bismillah Ar-Rahman Ar-Raheem
In the name of Allah, the Most-Merciful, the All-Compassionate

As-Salaam Alaikum Wa-Rahmatullahi Wa-Barakatuhu
"May the Peace and Blessings of Allah be Upon You"

Praise be to Allaah, we seek His help and His forgiveness. We seek refuge with Allaah from the evil of our own souls and from our bad deeds. Whomsoever Allaah guides will never be led astray, and whomsoever Allaah leaves astray, no one can guide. I bear witness that there is no god but Allaah, and I bear witness that Muhammad is His slave and Messenger.

Is it from the sunnah when breaking the fast to eat some dates and drink water then pray maghrib and afterwards eat and drink whatever he wishes?

Sheikh ‘Abdul ‘Azeez bin Baaz, may Allaah have mercy upon him, says:

“Yes (it is from the sunnah), because this is what empowers (one with) a type of advantage. He rushes to break the fast with what Allaah has made easy from dates and water then goes to pray maghrib along with the congregation so that he doesn’t miss it then returns and eats whatever he wishes to eat and like this.

If they are a group however on a journey for example, then they can eat and have dinner then pray. If they delay the maghrib prayer until ‘ishaa or pray after they have eaten then nothing is wrong with that.

As for being in the cities and towns, i.e. residents, then a person should eat what Allaah makes feasible then proceed to the prayer so that he doesn’t miss the congregation.

Ref
مَنْ عَمِلَ صَالِحًا مِّن ذَكَرٍ أَوْ أُنثَى وَهُوَ مُؤْمِنٌ فَلَنُحْيِيَنَّهُ حَيَاةً طَيِّبَةً وَلَنَجْزِيَنَّهُمْ أَجْرَهُم بِأَحْسَنِ مَا كَانُواْ يَعْمَلُونَ
"Whoever does righteousness, whether male or female, while he is a believer - We will surely cause him to live a good life, and We will surely give them their reward [in the Hereafter] according to the best of what they used to do."16:97